Menu

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Graffiti Artist Myth


The public in my opinion has been sold a false bill of goods. Graffiti Writers are not artists. Some are artists, but being a Graffiti Writer is about writing your name (even if that means painting it as tall and as wide as a train). Graffiti is illegal by default, as soon as all you do is legal or commissioned art, you WERE a Graffiti Writer and became something society calls a Graffiti Artist. Is there anything wrong with being a Graffiti Artist? No. In fact many of us Graffiti Writers become at least part time Graffiti Artists as we get older. This whole Graffiti Artist myth has been propagated by businesses that want to profit from cheap art and by artists that want to be edgy and cutting edge and Graffiti is their gimmick.


The problem I have with Graffiti Artists is that very often, they never were Graffiti Writers and very often those very same never were's like to speak FOR Graffiti Writers. They very often do not understand Graffiti any more than I understand what it is like to have a menstrual cycle. Both may require you to shed blood and tears but they are nothing alike.

I have been an Graffiti Writer and outlaw since 1978. I have never been a big name but writers know who I am. I have been in Train Yards and Lay-ups, I have Bombed (Proliferated Graffiti), I have painted my name on Highways, Trucks, Walls, Trains and everything that would stand still long enough to get a marker or spray can on... All of it illegally. I have also painted legally for everyone from Joe Blow on the street to Hasbro, Ford Motor Corp, etc... And none of that legal art was Graffiti. Graffiti is illegal. Much of the legal art was authentic Graffiti inspired art, but none of it was Graffiti.

I am not silly enough to think that I can speak for every Graffiti Writer and I wouldn't want to, but my job at XSNRG Magazine is to be the best authentic voice of Graffiti culture that I can be. I encourage all real Graffiti Writers to get with me so that your voice can be heard as well. We are committed to representing all the Elements of Hip Hop, especially Graffiti. Graffiti was the 1st element of Hip Hop and it was also where XSNRG started.



Deathos149
3BR OTB TOP U5

No comments:

Post a Comment