Menu

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sane182 R.I.P


I spoke to Reps KD LOB today and he really got me thinking about the past. I started thinking about friends that are no longer with us today and regrets. I first hooked up with Sane at Henry's studio (84-85) and we went to 175th a few times and I took him to Ocean Parkway and Sheepshead Bay. He took me to the 1 line in and out spot near South Ferry (those that know... know LOL) and then I pretty much stopped fucking with transit for a bit (about 86). Then we started painting walls together in all 4 Boros (SI don't count LOL). I was chilling at his house, his mom inviting me for dinner, staying up all night doing blackbooks... Yo, for real, he was my best friend at the time. We would go to Case2's crib, racking, blah, blah, blah.


Well, one day we did these huge pieces in LIC in Sunnydale Yard (I think that's the name). It was dope... He did a Sane with a Hypodermic needle with an AIDS theme with 3 gigantic cubes in the background that said 3 Box Renegade (3BR). I did a RIP peace that said Death surrounded by names of people who had passed away. I got everyone I cared about to give me names of loved ones to put in it. He did a small Smith piece next to his piece and I did a small Curse2 TOP piece next to mine for my boy who was locked up.
Me and Sane used to chill at IGT headquarters from time to time with Phase2 and Dave Schmidlap and trade photos and stories with them. Well one day while we there a call came in asking about Sane doing an aids piece for a video documentary for a Spain TV station with a needle because they saw the piece we did in IGT. He said yes... But when it was time to do it he backed out. They wanted to film him doing it and since he was still hitting trains he was fearful of showing his face. They were stuck in a lurch, they had planned on the painting footage to be played out in between every scene of the documentary. Now the whole screenplay was fucked.

They called Phase2 at IGT and told him. He asked if they wanted to see if I would do it. They said yes and Phase had Dave Schmidlap call me. I was like fuck yeah... Gimme a paint budget and I am all in it. I took them to some freight tracks in upper Manhattan and they filmed me. 

On the way home I called Sane from a payphone and told him about it... He didn't seem no kinda way about it but, make a long story short, it was the last time we spoke until right before his death. I did not know it but he was pissed that I used his idea of the needle but never told me. He felt totally betrayed.

Right before he died Nic One told him to call me and we talked the whole thing out and that's when I found out why he stopped answering my calls and painting, etc... I thought it was because he was on the run when VS was hot after him. This was his DMS time period when he was bouncing around Queens. 

Next thing I knew he lost his life right before we could do our re-union production. I found out about his death like a week after the funeral... Regrets are a motherfucker... I do not have many in my life, but how that all went down is one of them. 




Deathos149 3BR NAW

No comments:

Post a Comment